Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Cats, 'I was waaay off''

So earlier this week, I, Nostrakennedy, received my first pedicure. No, I didn't buy it myself, as it was a gift from my girlfriend. No, she didn't buy it for me because of any mold, fungi, or because the 'captain' of the toes would cut her leg in the middle of the night. Long story, but it and my mimosa were necessary. The rest of the day, I felt like I had stuck my feet in a tub of butter prior to putting on my socks and shoes. While it was not something I would ever buy for myself, I will say I was looking forward to it. I was a little nervous that I wouldn't like it or that it would hurt, but it felt like I stuck my feet into a warm tub of butter and had it licked off by a dozen kittens and the only thing that hurt was the condescending looks of 'not belonging' by unattractive/overweight female employees and for lack of a better term, gay dudes. Do you know what hurt more than that? Watchin' the Cats this season, and not just on the road. Every freakin' game...With all the annoying tendencies that this team has, what annoys me the most? It's hard to tell. Is it that if we had started this blog at the beginning of the season that I could post the exact same game recap for each loss? Is it that our defense is so weak and slow that we can be beat on any given night, by one player, as was the case again last night at the hands of the Piggly Wiggly logo (Clarke)? Is it that we play so well at home, and like a bunch of blind mice on the road? Is it that this team is making me question Calipari when I know he isn't responsible for stupid fouls and ugly turnovers in late game situations? Or maybe it is that we still haven't yet accepted that this isn't last year's team. Either way, last night was a wasted opportunity to tie Vanderbilt as the 2 seed in the east, giving them a much needed 1st round bye. Vanderbilt still has to play in Rupp obviously, as well as playing on the road in Gainesville. So it's not impossible for the Cats to still earn that first round bye. The Cats are too small and their bench is too shallow to think it's possible to win four in a row, even three in a row for that matter. UK is looking at a 5-6 seed as of now, but I don't think it's impossible to move up to a 3, or maybe even a 2 seed if they were to win out. Again, I am not expecting this to happen, but saying it's possible and Kentucky's name definitely earns the itself the benefit of the doubt from the selection committee. Realistically, we're looking at a 4 or 5 seed which isn't the worst possible situation, but doesn't make me feel real good for any kind of run. UK has enough talent to play with and beat all but the top 5-10 teams in the country so let's keep our fingers crossed. Michigan St, when again left for dead, made it to the Final Four as a 4 or 5 seed. That being said, Northern Iowa who beat the number 1 seed, Kansas, is still waiting for that thank you card from coach Izzo that allowed them to reach the Final Four again. I don't think that will be the case for the Cats, but that's why they play the game. And assuming we do exit stage left come mid March, I'll be willing to give Cal a pass on this season, giving all the turnover he had to work through, but my level of concern will have to be raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment