Thursday, February 10, 2011

Overkill? I think not!

OK folks, the Super Bowl is over and for most people that means no more football. For me it signals the start of one of my favorite time of the year, NFL Draft Season!! Im as excited as Billy Madison on Nudey Magazine Day. Most hate the 24 hour coverage by Mel Kiper and Todd McShay (Ben Foreman doppelganger). I will admit to one thing, part of my enjoyment of the NFL Draft coverage is the ridiculous "draft terms" they constantly use. Terms like Value Pick,High Motor, Reach Pick, Upside, Luxury Pick, and my new favorite Eye discipline! I just cant get enough of the constant over analyzing. So this year you are in luck. Consider me your Draft expert. I will highlight one player each week until the Draft. So get ready we start RIGHT NOW! First up ....




QB- Blaine Gabbert Mizzou
Height 6'5
Weight 235
2009- 3,593yrd, 24TD, 9int, rating 140.45, rushing 204yrd, 3TD
2010- 3,186yrd, 16TD, 9TD, rating 127.03, rushing 232yrd, 5TD

Much like Jenn Sterger,Mr Gabbert def has the build NFL teams are looking for. He has also moved up almost every body's draft boards to a sure 1st round pick. Gabbert came on the scene in 2009. When teams adjusted to him the next year his stats did not drop off. Yes he through for less TD's but that's due to the improvement of Mizzou running attack. whats more important is that his Interceptions did not go up. His decision making improved when teams got film on him. He also showed the ability to run when needed with over 200yrds in 2 straight years. I compare Blaine to another Big 12 QB who wasn't a house hold name the day he was drafted, Josh Freeman. Freeman put up very similar stats at KSU(20TD, 8int, rating 136.48).The downside of Gabbert is he plays in a very shotgun happy system. It will def be an adjustment for him to go under center. But Gabbert has great mechanics and foot work. So unlike Tebow he will not have the adjustment period. I see Gabbert going as high as 8 to Tennessee. Other teams I see being interested 21 Seattle and 15 Miami. So we are off an running!

No comments:

Post a Comment